I’ve noticed that there are a couple of things that I do that sets me up so that taking the bike doesn’t feel like too much of a hassle.
- Electric bike. I have an electric bike that makes biking so much more enjoyable for me (since I don’t see it as exercise but transport)
- Know where you’re going. If biking somewhere new always consult a map so you know how to get there, if you have a map with bike lanes even better
- Dress for success. Since I live in Sweden dressing for the weather is crutial and also having clothes for all weather is important. Check the weather report and dress accordingly. For rain I have rain pants, rain jacket and rain boots. In winter I have ski pants, winter boots, winter jacket and proper gloves so that I don’t freeze.
- Have the right equipment. Since Sweden is dark for most of the autumn/winter months proper lighting is needed to see and be seen. Also I wear a helmet, use winter tires along with a reflective vest for safety reasons. Also having a proper lock takes away the worry of your bike getting stolen.
- Other tips. I also make sure to bring a small towel to dry the handles and saddle when it’s been raining. If it’s raining I also bring my mascara and quickly put it on when I arrive at the office so it doesn’t get smudged. I’ve also left work shoes at the office to switch to when I come in with rain/winter boots.